It all comes down to your mindset.
If only getting back in shape was as easy as getting out of shape. I have gone back and forth so many times. I always justify getting out of shape by telling myself I’m just having fun and living in the moment when I eat more and more junk food or skip another workout. Then trying to get back in shape, once I feel awful, is always so difficult and can feel unattainable at times. It doesn’t have to feel impossible though! It really all comes down to your mindset. These 5 tips have helped getting back in shape a more enjoyable part of life for me!
Get back in shape- for YOU!
- Plan. If you find yourself saying you don’t have time, that just means you aren’t being intentional with your time. Get a notebook or calendar and plan your day out. I always seem to accomplish more when I put it in writing.
- Focus. Change your focus to what you DO like about yourself and your body. So many times I have tried to get back into working out by focusing on my least favorite part of my body. Starting with negativity rarely leads to long-lasting, healthy motivation. Be your own hype man and work out because you deserve to feel good, not “because you look bad.”
- Ease. Take it slow. You shouldn’t just jump back into your old routine. That may increase your chances of injury or getting burnt out and we don’t want either. Instead, set an attainable goal. Pick 3 days of the week that you can spend at least 30 minutes at the gym. I guarantee you will naturally want to go more often and for longer than 30 minutes!
- Treat. Treat yo self..but not with junk food! Truly treat yourself by feeding your body foods that make you feel better, think better, perform better, etc. Look into how different foods affect your body. We should choose healthier options most of the time because it fuels our body and will help us feel better, but we can’t think of it as depriving ourselves from what we want. It is okay and recommended to have BALANCE.
- Satisfy. Tune in to your body and satisfy your cravings with healthier options. Most of the time if I crave something sweet, some dark chocolate will satisfy that craving. If I crave something salty, seasoned almonds will satisfy that craving. If it seems that nothing is satisfying you, make sure you’re drinking plenty of water. That being said, if you really really want a double cheeseburger, fries, and a milkshake.. Go get it! Just don’t make it a habit. 😉
Sorry to sound cliche, but this is the mindset that is so important. From negative, comes negative and from positive, comes positive. You can’t fall in love with your body or yourself by hating it first. I hope this helps someone else enjoy the journey a little more. Drop a comment below with tips or changes that have helped your journey!