What is an Açaí Smoothie bowl?
If you’ve never tried a smoothie bowl, it is a bowl of icy, refreshing, sweet (but still tastes healthy), crunchy amazingness. In other words, it’s a thick smoothie that you top with more fruit, seeds, nuts, granola, or honey/agave. You can make the smoothie base in many different ways. The addition of açaí (ah-sigh-ee) in this particular recipe gives an antioxidant boost! It’s not quite life changing, but there have been noted benefits you can read more about here if you’d like.
Smoothie bowl sadness.. the price!
These sound pretty simple, but if you think about the price of a typical smoothie then add in special ingredients plus toppings, it’s easy to understand where the price increase comes in. A typical restaurant will usually charge around $10 for a bowl. I actually spent $13 on one recently and it wasn’t nearly as good as this recipe! I try to be frugal so this bothered me for days, but I was curious how one would taste that wasn’t made by me. It was not worth it, but the little bit of time put into this recipe definitely is! If you are like me and need a smoothie bowl in your life, but can’t get down with the price- check out this recipe and crave no more!
Acai Smoothie Bowl
- Blender/Food Processor (I like Ninja or Nutribullet)
- 1 Frozen Banana ~$0.23 each
- 1/2 pack Frozen Acai Puree $12.47 for 8 packs, ~$0.78 for 1/2 pack
- 1/2 cup Frozen Blueberries $6.97 for 48oz, ~$0.35 for 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup Frozen Strawberries $6.98 for 64oz, ~$0.27 for 1/2 cup
- 1/2-1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk $3.82 for96oz, ~$0.16 for 1/2 cup
- 1/2 Fresh Banana, sliced ~$0.23 each, ~$0.12 for 1/2
- 1/4-1/2 cup Homemade Granola See notes for an awesome and easy recipe!
- 1 tbsp Honey $6.33 for 16oz, ~$0.29 for 1 tbsp
- Throw all smoothie ingredients in blender/food processor and blend until smooth!
- Transfer into bowl (or a coconut shell to do nothing other than look fancy).
- Pour on granola, add banana slices, drizzle honey.
- Enjoy while deciding what to do with the $7 you saved! 😉
- Depending on how frozen your fruit is, you may need more milk. I start with 1/2 cup and add 1/4 cup more at a time as needed. You want a thick consistency to keep it a smoothie bowl!
- Homemade Granola this is my fav quick and delish homemade granola!
If you venture to make this, drop a comment below and let me know how you like it! I love these so much, I may or may not have made myself 3 in one day before.. while I wouldn’t recommend that many in one day, the ingredients list is short and it satisfies my sweet and crunchy cravings! I hope it does the same for you! For more quick and healthy recipes click here: http://momgymeatrepeat.com/category/eat/.